View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #39
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
The estimated a range of weights starting at 3,250 and the C&D test car with $25k's worth of options including PDK is, I would argue, pretty much as heavy as any 991 Carrera S is going to be.

The 911 has gotten bigger over the years, but I'd say you'd have to characterise the weight as now fluctuating rather than continually rising. The weight fell in the transition from 993 to 996, it went up with the 997 and now it's a bit lower again with the 991. I'd say that, overall, you'd have to characterise is as pretty flat since the 964 came out in 1989, which is very unusual and a real achievement on Porsche's behalf.

I still don't like how big the 991 is, I don't like the electric rack,t he stupid 7-speed manual and the fact that you can't have simple passive sports suspension from the factory. But like I keep saying, the one thing you can't really criticise the 991 for is being too fat.
We can keep going back and forth on the curb weight of the car, I can keep finding more sources that say it's in the 3200 pound range, but what's the point of that? The 911 gets bigger and let's just say somewhat consistantly heavier with every generation and in my opinion, it hasn't been a sports car in a long time. It's too fat in weight and girth and the other "sports car" platform isn't far behind.

It doesn't sound like Porsche is interested in introducing a product in a sub-Boxster size or price point, and for this reason more than any, the company is irrelevant to me.

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-26-2012 at 04:40 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote