View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #38
pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
...and then the road tests showed they were on with the estimate

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2012-chevrolet-corvette-z06-vs-2013-nissan-gt-r-vs-2012-porsche-911-carrera-s-comparison-test-car-and-driver2012-chevrolet-corvette-z06-vs-2013-nissan-gt-r-vs-2012-porsche-911-carrera-s-febuary2012.pdf

The nice thing about the history article is that it shows how, just like people, the 911 gets bigger and heavier as it ages. When the Corvette is lighter than your sports car, it should be an indication that there's a problem.

So back to the original point of the post, IMO, Porsche no longer makes special cars, they no longer make unique cars, and they are not any more robust than others. The things that used to make Porsche's different no longer exist. They are now a name on a luxury line up of GTs and Trucks. The relevance to this sports car fan is gone.
The estimated a range of weights starting at 3,250 and the C&D test car with $25k's worth of options including PDK is, I would argue, pretty much as heavy as any 991 Carrera S is going to be.

The 911 has gotten bigger over the years, but I'd say you'd have to characterise the weight as now fluctuating rather than continually rising. The weight fell in the transition from 993 to 996, it went up with the 997 and now it's a bit lower again with the 991. I'd say that, overall, you'd have to characterise is as pretty flat since the 964 came out in 1989, which is very unusual and a real achievement on Porsche's behalf.

I still don't like how big the 991 is, I don't like the electric rack,t he stupid 7-speed manual and the fact that you can't have simple passive sports suspension from the factory. But like I keep saying, the one thing you can't really criticise the 991 for is being too fat.