View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
Guvs

Hi mallai.
I think this is the information you are after, I posted these threads on our UK Boxster forum a few months ago, it's in two parts.

part one:-

Hi all.
Just thought I'd keep you up to date on my latest Mod, found it on a Porsche forum I'd never used before (God thats two I'm on now) anyway back to the modification, on the newer 987 model Boxsters they have built in the option to be able to retract or put up the soft top while on the move, governed to approx 25 MPH, well on the model 986 there wasn't that option, However having found this thread about "soft tops" one of the post pointed out where to find a particular relay block on top of the fuse box, and if you bent over one of the many pins, number 18 to be precise, it would enable you to retracted or put up the soft top the same as the 987's, this was a brilliant find not only because it allows you to do this action at any speed, not advisable above 30ish MPH, but Porsche are selling the relay magic box to do this action at around £300 as an upgrade for the 986's, it only took me 30-45 seconds to get the relay out and bend the pin "job done" the only thing different is you have to take up the first click on the handbrake to illuminate the handbrake light on the dash board, that fools the computer into thinking the car is stationary, and allows the mechanism to carry out the actions, good or what.
Guvs

Part two:-

The latest on this Mod is if you want to go one step further on the relay box there is another pin (number 15) that if you open the relay box up and solder a thin piece to wire from that pin to another pin (number 20) it will earth it out and now you don't have to even pull the handbrake up one click when putting down the top whilst on the move, done!! also I sent away to America for a one touch switch so I don't have to keep my finger on the button throughout the complete operation of putting the roof down or up now I find I'm dropping the hood a lot more now I have the "Robo top" (one touch switch) Mod, it's so easy and convenient , I drop the hood on the way out of my estate for a while until I'm about to reach the Dual carriageway and just flick the button so top up before getting onto it and putting my foot down, at the end of the Dual Carriageway while slowing down for the roundabout to the town center/bypass again one touch and down it comes again, and so on a few more times until I get to my final destination, will have to make sure I oil/grease the hood mechanism a lot more now due to more usage
Guvs.

Hope the above helps you.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote