View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
rdgflex

@sgt brad: Good review on the SLK350. I've had my 2012 model since June and absolutely love it.

Your review really highlights the decision a buyer has to make in choosing between a Boxster and a R172, which is a bit better performance (Boxster) or a bit more luxury/comfort (R172). Ultimately, as a 54 year old, I decided butt and leg comfort was more important to me than track speed performance. I can enjoy the luxury and comfort 100% of the time, but I can only enjoy the slightly faster take-offs and curve handling superiority of the Boxster a small percentage of the time. Bottom line was, and is, a 5.4 sec 0-60, 13.9 sec 0-100 gets me to where I want to go as fast as I care to get there. And, I'm going to get there with a lot more comfort than the Boxster driver.

I also liked the ability to change from coupe to convertible. I find the hard top gives a quieter ride when in coupe mode. Maybe it's my imagination. But, it seemed to be the case.

One last thing, I rarely have a day go by that someone doesn't comment on how much they love my car. And, that's every age and both genders. I've had people shout out to me as I'm driving by, "Love your car." Park a R172 next to a Boxster, and I'll bet you more people stop and admire the R172. And, I'm not just saying that to tweak you Boxster owners. I've frequently parked my car by new Boxsters, Audis, and Lexus, and it's my car that gets the gawkers.

Don't get me wrong. Love the Porsche, but it's not for me. For the Porsche to give me the cabin comfort I want, it would probably cease looking like a Porsche.

Btw, this is a "chick car" in that it takes a bit more time to learn how to get it to perform the way you want it to. Once you get used to its idiosyncrasies, some of the "sloppiness" you refer to goes away. So, in that way, yes, it's like a chick. You have to find its "G" spot.

Ron

Last edited by rdgflex; 02-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.
rdgflex is offline   Reply With Quote