View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #24
RandallNeighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
I plan to go there and inspect the car myself, ensure the car has no defects, and ebay motors warrantees the car for like 3 weeks or so. I also plan to purchase an aftermarket warrantee. They have some good ones out there, so I should be ok with that.
Friend, there are at least a dozen things you should be looking for on a boxster before you buy it that a typical car buyer would not look for.

One example would be to see if the convertible top transmission cables are the old ones that stretch and cause a $1200 mess or have been replaced with the reinforced ones, and know what the difference is with a visual inspection. And the list goes on and on to the coolant resevoir in the rear trunk, etc.

As far as aftermarket warranties go, I'm sure you can find a half dozen that will take your money, but don't count on them to actually pay you or your mechanic when something goes wrong... most find a loophole in their contract with you to deny the claim. The only one worth anything is the Porsche certified preowned warranty offered through the dealership... and you pay through the nose for that one.

Best of luck to you as you buy a boxster. DO take it to a dealership and have a PPI done on the car, and DO have a 4 wheel laser alignment done on it as well before you plop down your money and sign for it. The alignment will tell you of most unrepaired frame damage, bent struts or bent control arms, etc. Don't forget that lots of people buy Boxsters, drive them like hell, and sell them when they get bored with them and don't care for them like most of us here on this list.

Hope this info helps. I, like you, bought off Ebay and got a killer deal on my boxster. I was out of my mind though to think I could check out this particular car and avoid buying a car requiring lots of repairs to become dependable. $7800.00 in repairs later, the car is reliable, but is still not what I hoped it would be condition-wise.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-07-2005 at 12:59 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote