View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #66
Dave S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
My IMS' early warning are my eyes. I turn on the micro-eagle-vision ON when I change the oil at every 2,500km on my 97 with 115,000km on the clock (cheap job, and it can't hurt). A good inspection of the oil filter is required at that point and if any failure, it will first reveal plastics/rubber debris. At that stage (normally) the balls have started to change shape however they will start to disintegrate a "few thousand" km after the bearing plastic goes so there is plenty of time to catch it before it completely blows up.

That's what a 22+ experienced Porsche engineer (based in Leipzig) told me to do when I childishly visit the factory a few months ago while on business trip in Germany. He also added that if you use Porsche approved oils & viscosity and change at recommended intervals the chances that you have a failure is 0.01%. Sounded very simple to him

If I understood... the IMS bearing failures are related to poor maintenance and careless owners. Sure many owners high-rev their porsche with cheap oil that has 5000k more (cokacola!) and then wonders.... why are my bearings failing %*&^^%$$
From everything I've read on this forum, I understand the IMS bearing is not lubricated by the engine oil. It is a sealed bearing. I don't understand how changing your oil more frequently or using a different grade of engine oil, or even inspecting the oil while you are draining it would show you any signs of impending failure. Is there something I don't understand here?