View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #64
recycledsixtie
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasaboo View Post
Intriguing. I started looking at older Boxsters and found one that I thought was worth taking to a mechanic for an inspection. I looked up the local Porsche mechanic and stopped by one afternoon to arrange the inspection.

The gentleman who owned the shop was shall we say a grizzled veteran of repairing Porsches. When I asked if it was possible to make an appointment to inspect a Boxster he flat refused to do it.

He said, "I'll save you the money, don't buy a used Boxster. Their engines are crap. Look out there, I'm fixing two of them now with engines that are bad. The white one is the second time I've replaced the engine. Do you have that kind of money to lose? If you want to buy a Porsche get a 911 with an air cooled engine, those are worth fixing up. That or get a new one with a warranty."

Needless to say I was shocked, I appreciated his candor but what a major buzz kill. I even tried a second time during our conversation to get him to look at the car and he flat out refused.

After reading all the point / counterpoints here I think I have an idea of what he's up against as a used Porsche mechanic.

Truly one of the strangest experiences I've had at a mechanic and I've had several over the years. My plan now is to wait for the new Boxster to come out this summer.
This is only one person's opinion. I bought my 2001 Boxster with eyes wide open and did lots of research. So it's either like u do and buy a new one(expensive) or like me, buy a used one and put $$ into it(expensive too). I have had installed the IMS guardian though.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote