View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
Does any one know what coolant is used by the factory in the 05 Boxsters? I need to add water/coolant, not sure which to use.

Thanks.
Hi,

Porsche uses Long-Life coolant in their cars. This means, it has replaced the Phosphates usually used as anti-corrosion agents with Nitrates.

Porsche claims some proprietary formula, but I don't buy it. They don't make the Coolant, just contract with another Company to make it for them. I suspect it is the equivalent of Prestone 5/150, Sierra, or any number of other such Brands, and possibly even produced by these Companies and packaged as a Vanity Brand. It may actually be the exact same stuff as the Company's own Brand.

If you use a non-approved Coolant, it may Void your Warranty so far as Coolant related issues are concerned. But, it's against the Law to deny a Warranty Claim on this basis if the issue Claimed is not tied to the use of the non-approved product. A Dealer will try to tell you otherwise, but legally, they cannot void the entire warranty.

BTW, NEVER mix traditional Anti-Freeze with Long-Life Coolant. A chemical reaction occurs which causes some of the chemicals to drop out of solution to form a Gel type substance. This Gel can clog cooling passages and will cause corrosion at an accelerated pace. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote