Thread: Wheel Bearing
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
... DIY is difficult unless you have the right tools. It requires a press to get it out and back in. Also, you have to heat the new bearing to 100C (???F) before putting it in...
Hi,

The tools required aren't too exotic, a couple of Drifts (you can substitute Large Sockets in place of these), a Bearing Puller, and a Bearing Driver(a steel plate can substitute for this). You can also get a Hydraulic Press for under $100 from places like Harbor Freight and the like, very useful tool to have. I have these tools, as do several other DIY'ers I know.

The reason you have to heat the Bearing Housing to 100° C (which you can do by dipping it into Boiling Water (100°C - 212°F), is that the Bearing is what is known as a Negative Fit Bearing. By heating the Bearing Housing, which is aluminum, you expand it. Then you drive the bearing into place and the Bearing Housing contracts around it. Negative Fit Bearings and Seals are fairly common. Both the Front and Rear Seals on my Lotus Esprit Engine are Negative Fit. You dip the Front/Rear Covers into Boiling Water, then drive the Seal into it w/ a centering tool, the cover contracts around the Seal. BTW, these RMS do not leak...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote