View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Watch you attitude, Jim! You have a tendency to overreact when anyone considers a different opinion than yours.

I simply stated that I had never seen this happen and that I have never seen any credible evidence that it occurs. To my mind, I still haven't.

Since this car is manufactured by Porsche and they recommend the synthetic, I would tend to go with it and that is simply my opinion. The poster is free to do whatever you advise him to do, if that is his wish. Since he does not know for certain what oil is in the car, I see little risk going with a superior synthetic motor oil.

What is his alternative, to guess what is in there and try to match it? Fact is, it is almost certain whatever he puts in the car now will NOT match what is in there. So what does he have to lose?

To me, the changing of different oils equals leaking seals theory is just that, a theory.

Or as you termed it, a wive's tale.
Hi,

Watch my attitude..?? Uh...OK But I am not the one refuting a post merely on the basis of personal preference and anecdotal evidence seemingly bolstered by the length of time that one has possessed a Driver's License.

I don't simply make this stuff up, if I cannot substantiate what I say, I don't say it, or at the least, I profer it as opinion. Like many, I received some bad advise when I was learning the fundamentals and in some instances it cost me time and $$. There is some volume of misinformation passing through this forum as well. I hate to see that happen if I can contribute to it's prevention, I try to. My sole purpose for passing along some of the things I have learned is to hopefully assist others and perhaps shorten their learning curve, mine was pretty steep. I currently own 6 cars (the lowest count in 12 yrs.). I do all the work on all of them (except our Jag which is warranteed) from minor to major work. My cars are reliable and proven on the Track with some being National Show winners and, I haven't seen a Tow Truck in over 15 yrs. So I am comfortable that I have at least a passing knowledge.

Those reading it are free to act upon it as they deem appropriate. If someone differs and I offer corroboration of what I've said, I don't call this overreacting, I call it clarification. If you want to call this an overreaction, sobeit.

In point of fact, this information re. Oil leakage was first relayed to me by a Chemical Engineer from Mobil Corp. who was a Guest Speaker at a Tech session held at a National Lotus Convention I attended a few years back. Many owners of older Lotus (which like every Brit car have a tendency to mark their territories) expressed concerns over switching to Synthetics. This was his explanation for the seepage which sometimes occurs.

Since then, I have run across numerous corroborations, including the one I listed, which as I said was discovered in a 5 min. Web search after your refute.

You can continue to think of it in theoretical terms, that's what's great about America. But given that I have run across this repeatedly, from numerous credible sources, to me, it's advancing beyond the theoretical. And keep in mind that I am only referring to the Potential for this occurrence, not a prediction of it.

The Synthetic Oils are simply so superior to the Organic ones, that I would never recommend anything else to be used in a Car and as I re-read my earlier post, I believe this is what I suggested. I passed on what I've learned about potential seepage to forearm the lister in the event this should occur. PEACE...

Happy Motoring...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-27-2005 at 08:19 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote