View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Hate to disagree with Jim on this but in all my years (40 or so) of driving I have never experienced a leak due to changing oils of any kind.

The theory sounds good but, with today's seals, I have not heard this theory advanced at all.

Having said all that, I would simply switch to M1 0W-40 and stick with that. It is a very high quality oil. I would also change the filter, of course.

Now, as to how often to change, well ..............

Hi,

I never said that the seals would leak, only that there was a potential for them to do so. The fact that you never experienced it does not invalidate my statement.

Surely in your 40 or so years of driving you've heard of the caveat that switching to a Synthetic could make your seals leak. In my 36 or so years of driving, I certainly have. But the root cause of this caveat was never mentioned.

FYI, a 5 min. search of the web revealed at least on piece of literature corroborating what I have said. See it at: http://www.superiorlubricants.com/faq02.htm scroll down to the question on Oil Consumption. BTW, it appears that they only have 30 years of experience with these and related subjects.

Happy Motoring...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-27-2005 at 06:34 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote