View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
Pilot2519j

Lightbulb Slow and steady does the trick

Winter whats the big deal? I live in Long Island and really the things to watch is for inclement weather which is tough in any type of car. I drive my Boxster every day snow, sleet and rain. My biggest fears are the yahoo's on SUV blasting on the highway like madmen thinking since they have 4 wheel drive their cars will stop on a dime or corner as it was dry. If they want to test kinetic energy, negative g's and impact crush zones against a tree is OK by me but don't do it against my car. Essensially you have to be very aware of your environment and make sure you don't overdrive the car. Bad weather, snow on the ground, gears mostly I opt for 2nd and third using the brakes as little as possible. If it is sleeting or raining just drop off some speed and more distance is necessary keeping the speed down too for any type of emergency. Traction is similar as driving the old VW bug, which is pretty good. Leave yourself enough room in front of you and hope that the yahoo in the SUV wrapped himself against a tree.
I have not driving it in a blizzard which I imagine I would be testing the limits of the car because of the low clearance of the wheels. I do use forgot to mention Continental winter tires suggested by the dealer. My only problem is at work parking when it is icy. The steepness of the parking lot is a challenge. I get to enjoy my car every day as a lot of the members here.