View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
jaykay

Brad,

Do you have any experience with running an intake duct sealed to the outside intake "scoop" running to the throttle body....insulated of course. I have seen a fellow on here who did a marvelous job. I would think intake temps would be reasonable. The air would be spending less time running around the engine compartment...like a heat exchanger.

I would certainly like to put in a Cayman S box (MY year?) but I am still not seeing how one can possibly get it in. I am not understanding the muffler cut either.

The Cayman box plus the IPD might give me enough juice to get by some older 911s on the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
It's tough online to see me smiling when I post "tongue in cheek" comments Thanks for not getting offended. It was meant in jest.

Yes, it went away and the engine air inlet temp went WAY down. Down to what we expected to see based on a stock CaymanS. GM has a division dedicated to inlet air temp on the Corvettes. After meeting a person who works in that group, and what I have seen on professionally raced Boxster's and Cayman's... I take air inlet very serious (to the point of covering the entire intake/air box/piping in the gold foil to keep the temps down. Heat kills!!!

Porsche cut the nuts off the Boxster's and Caymans. The trend for larger throttle bodies and larger headers is well founded, but you have to match it with a larger air box. So far the CaymanS airbox has proven to be *good* up to 420hp. I have not tested past that (GrandAm M97 engine in a CaymanS)