Thread: Go Porsche!
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #13
SD987

MNBoxster: While I think it's nice to see Porsche ranked as they are, I really don't feel that strongly one way or the other about what JD Powers has to say. However, it seems you have a bit of an axe to grind regarding JD Powers. Although I don't question your general expertise in your profession, in the interests of fair reporting, I though I'd clarify/refute some of your statements.

"You are aware that JD Powers does not conduct Independent Surveys? They are contracted by Auto Companies to produce surveys strictly for Marketing purposes. The Manufacturers Pay them to come up with positive results about their car(s)."

From the company's FAQs:

How can J.D. Power and Associates claim its information is unbiased when manufacturers pay for the studies?
J.D. Power and Associates syndicated studies are not funded by the companies that are measured. The studies are funded and owned by the firm. After the study results are published, manufacturers, retailers, suppliers, and other industry participants can choose whether or not to purchase the reports. Ownership of the data derived from the syndicated customer satisfaction studies is key to the firm's independence and unbiased position. This third-party perspective enables J.D. Power and Associates to provide clients with credible and clear feedback from their customers.

How do companies get approval to use J.D. Power and Associates awards?
J.D. Power and Associates has strict guidelines for advertising claims and every advertisement related to a study award is reviewed to ensure accuracy. Only top-ranked performers in pre-defined categories are allowed to license the use of J.D. Power and Associates awards in advertising.

"I can not be certain today, but in the past, JD Powers only conducted Automotive Surveys for Manufacturers, they did no other type of surveys. In fact, if you weren't an Auto Manufacturer, you couldn't even contract with JD Powers to have them do a survey."

J.D. Power and Associates conducts syndicated research in the following industries:
• Automotive
• Telecommunications
• Travel
• Real Estate
• Finance
• Marine
• Healthcare
• Utilities
• Commercial Vehicles
• Sports and Entertainment
• Retailing
• Office Products
• Professional Services

"They are a Marketing Firm which contracts their services to Automobuile Manufacturers. Ever wonder why Automakers don't regularly use Consumer Reports or Gallop surveys in their advertising? Because they cannot be assured of the outcome. And, if they started quoting them, they'd have a precedence to keep doing it which might not always be favorable."

Actually, it’s because…

The Gallup organization conducts polls on human nature and behavior, not consumer affairs. Here’s a list of their poll topics…none of which are related to automobiles.

http://poll.gallup.com/topics/

The reason why Consumer Reports aren’t quoted in automobile advertisements is stated in this following excerpt from the USA Today:

“To highlight its unbiased testing, Consumer Reports doesn't accept advertising, buys its test vehicles anonymously from car dealers and doesn't allow automakers to use its results in advertising.”

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-09-29-cr_x.htm

"They are not designed to arm the consumer to make an individual, informed, Buyer's Decision. They are designed to misinform you into making the Buyer's Decision they want."

Once again from the FAQ...

How does J.D. Power and Associates conduct research?

J.D. Power and Associates surveys actual consumers by mail, telephone, and e-mail. The firm goes to great lengths to make sure that these consumers are chosen at random and that they actually have experience with the product or company they are rating. For example, ratings for the Lexus LS 400 come from people who actually own one. As a result, J.D. Power ratings are based entirely on consumer opinions and in no way reflect the firm’s opinions or preferences.

From the medium duty truck survey, partially downloadable here:

http://www.jdpower.com/library/brochures/pdfs/Trucks/MediumDuty_Trucks.pdf

Methodology:

Study participants are selected using a national sample of VIN-identified Class 5,6 and 7 medium-duty trucks (GVW of 16,001 lbs. to 33,000 lbs.) drawn from R.L. Polk company’s registration records. Medium-duty truck principal maintainers complete a comprehensive telephone interview approximately 30 minutes in length. All survey data is weighted to reflect appropriate total industry and manufacturer market share among Owner/Operator and Fleet Managers.

They also offer as part of the full report:

- Detailed findings by manufacturer
- Detailed data tabulations
- Access to the data for each question asked in survey and VIN-decoded information.

Although just a sample, it would seem that their survey practices are above-board to me.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote