View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
sgt brad
02 box s

any interest in oill pressure gauges

as a new box s owner i've been researching oil pressure gauge options. they appear to be pretty slim.
1. buy a 996 gauge cluster and connect it. seems to cost a bundle
2. buy an autometer replacement steering column cover and install a round 2 1/4 gauge. i haven't been able to find a picture of a single install.

so unless there are other options that i'm unaware of it leaves me searching for my own options. here's what i've come up with to solve the problem. a company that i've dealt with in the past on my race car has a micro rectangle gauge whose dimensions are; 2.12" L 1.37" H and .6" D. it is black so it matches the steering column. it will digitally read oil pressure in red dot matrix. the cost for this option is less than 175.00 with sending unit. a manual pressure T will have to be run off of the stock sending unit location remotely to the sending unit as the sending unit will send weird readings if located directly on the hot motor. this is a tiny gauge that is very cost effective and simple to install. the only drawback i see is the red display. too bad it's not offered with an orange display.

now for the good/better news. for those who may be interested the same company also has a slightly larger gauge that will display oil pressure as well as volts, etc. it even has an orange display that matches very well to the odo/obc of the stock gauge cluster. it will require a similar sending unit treatment. the bad news is that i mocked up a cardboard one in it's dimensions, 3.25" L 2.3" H and .8" D. it won't fit on the steering column without blocking the odo, etc. this gauge and sending unit will run around 300.00.

i may be able to get the price down slightly if there is enough interest. as for me i intend to mount it on top of the steering column just in front of the tach. the smaller one is small enough not to interfere. i just wish it was orange. i still can't believe that porsche didn't put an oil press gauge in our cars. but, hey they don't even let the 987 owners check there own oil so go figure.

oh, fwiw i also have pics of the two gauges. i can email them to anyone interested so that they can be posted here. better yet, i'll post a link to the pages with descriptions of the gauges. lmk what ya'll think.

Dual DynoTune Digital Gauges, 2 Gauges in one compact package. EGT, Boost, Wideband, Air Intake temp, oil temp, etc. - Dual DynoTune Digital Gauges

DynoTune Product, 030-WideBand Square Display for innovate Controllers - DynoTune, Nitrous systems, Purge kits, Nitrous Bottle heaters and more!
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote