View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
Pat

That video is a joke. While I like the intent, the "study" is executed poorly. The idea is to compare the performance of 18" wheels with that of 19" wheels. In order to do that, one must isolate all other variables. They did not do this. The only changes in the front wheels are diameter, which is perfect for the goal of this video. However, the 19" rear wheels are an inch wider than the 18" wheels. That alone can skew the results due to size and weight factors. Moreover, the front tires on the 19" wheels are 20mm wider than those on the 18" wheels. Even worse, the rear tires on the 19" wheels are 30mm wider than those on the 18" wheels. That's totally skews the results.
The cherry on top is when the test driver says, "I can feel the rolling resistance." Yeah...sure you can.

Ceteris paribus, if your top priority is performance, go smaller. If you care more about appearance, go bigger. Done.