View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Mrmaddbrad

Garage
My personal opinion: Who are you, probably a person with little or no schooling in cars, to buy a $100 intake that "upgrades" the stock intake over the Porsche Engineers that are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to make nearly the most perfect design possible for the car? However; they do sound cool.

Personal Experience: I have friends that work at shops with dynos and have had a few cars come in that want to see how much horsepower there car that feels so much faster with the new "cold air intake" has gained. In almost all results, the car has actually lost a few horsepower but it sounds cooler making the illusion that it's faster. As i like to say "Audible horsepower" :P However; there are exceptions!!

What most CAI's Lack:
1) A shield that block's of hot air... Making it not a cold air intake, but a hot air intake if you will.
2) Much, if any engineering. I've seen CAI's that don't even fit the car they're designed for. They just come with a heavy duty hose clamp and some super soft rubber that you're supposed to extremely over tighten onto the MAF....
3) Filtration. This is probably the most minor, as it obviously is letting in more air it also lets in more contamination particles. Just clean the filter more often. Easy as that.

If you really want one, buy a K&N. They actually do some engineering in all their products. I've never seen one that doesn't fit properly and they rarely cause a decrease in HP. However; try to find one with a shield. And remember, METAL SHIELDS DON'T WORK!!! They just get hot and make the surround air hot and therefore turn it into a hot air intake lol.... Duel pained, heavy duty plastic, with thick, soft rubber on the top to seal with the engine bay hatch is the best IMO.

However; if you want one, get one. It's not going to make a big differance in anything but sound. And i know you just want to be able to say you have one lol
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote