View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

I cleaned out my radiators without removing the bumper.

I took a crevice tool from my home vacuum cleaner (the one on my shop vac was too large) and slid it between the slats in the front of the car and down to the base of the radiators. It sucked out all kinds of debris and leaves.

My engine temp would climb toward the hot end while in stop and go traffic, but move back down to the normal 180ish range while blazing down the road at 80+ mph.

My driver's side fan was dead, and this is the primary fan.

The way to see if both work is to simply get the engine good and hot, put it in neutral, set the brake, crank up the AC as cold as you can make it, and walk to the front of the car. Put your hand in front of each tire near the ground. You should feel a strong stream of hot air and noise emitting from both sides.

The fans do wear out like mine did, but there's a temp sensor that looks like a 3/4 inch thick black stick about 5 inches long with some wires coming out of one end that also can go out. This is not terribly expensive, and is far less time consuming to replace.

BTW, my mechanic changed out my fan in about 45 minutes. I bought the fan from Sunset Porsche and it was half price compared to my local dealership.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote