View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #14
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"The lack of revs(storing a car long enough for moisture to work it's magic)"

From the standpoint of engine longevity, this is probably not the correct way to frame it. I am certainly not suggesting you park your Porsche to preserve it.

I think the data shows that driving your Porsche to the red line on a daily basis will certainly shorten the drive train's life vs. a more prudent way of driving.

This is supported both in theory and in practice.

To wit, the useful life of just about any race car is very very short, even though these cars are built to specifically run at top RPMS (blue printed engines, forged metals, oil changes at every race etc.).

If running these cars at top RPM was "good for them" they would have a nice long lifespan.

They do not.

Nor will your Porsche if you hammer it day in and day out.

I am not suggesting that you leave it in the garage or not engage in spirited driving. Simply understand that trips to the rev limiter create a cost.

If this were NOT true, why would Porsche keep track of these trips for warranty purposes?

Hi,

I think your argument is somewhat superfluous. Your Race car analogy is somewhat off base as this is a car who's Engine differs in many ways to a Street Car Engine, such as in Compression, Timing, A/F mix, etc. Apples to Oranges. Besides that, a Race Car Engine is run about 75%-80% of the time at Red Line (if you plan on being Competitive), whereas we're only discussing occaisionally, or accidentally, bouncing off the Rev Limiter.

Lexuspilot has taken your logic to extreme, but he's not all wrong. Simply turning the key will eventually wear out the Engine. That's what Engine's do, they wear out, no matter how well you care for them, eventually all the heat and friction takes their toll.

I don't dispute that empirically you increase wear and/or shorten the Life of the Engine. But, you need to put some perspective to this. You may have a rebuild due at 100K rather than at 120k. That doesn't mean it's gonna Blow-up tomorrow.

Plus, there are many other ways of ignoring or abusing your Engine which will shorten it's life much sooner such as running low on fluids, buying Bad Gas, not allowing it to warmup sufficiently when it's cold, (which is probably the greatest sin committed - You know that little Blue mark on your temp gauge? You're supposed to allow the Temp Needle to travel North of it before driving, how many people do this consistently?).

No, I am not convinced that hitting the Rev Limiter, even on a consistent basis is much to worry about so long as you look after the car's Tune and Fluids. Every Engine I've ver seen Blow-up was from some other type of abuse, usually neglect.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote