View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
jbs986

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
There is no easy way to fix scratches in clear coat. The only real way to do it is too scary for most people and they really should not try it unless they know what they are doing and that is wet sanding.

Wet sand with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, then rubbing compound, then polish and then wax.

All the store bought liquid scratch stuff just fills the scratch temporarily, it will look better but it will come back.

For even deeper scratches, professional touch up paint formulas have a body filler step followed by a leveling the scratch step followed by painting.

No magic bullet and don't look for answers on youtube, the paint shavings, super glue aluminum foil thing is a recipe for disaster. Get a professional to detail your car once a year, then you can maintain it.
+ 1, I had my cars clear coat coming off on the hood and deep scratches on the front bumper/hit by some one when it was parked + Bird crap spots that also ate threw the clear coat in several spots on the car.
I had a loc. guy who does detail work on dealers car, repaint my hood and front bumper and wet sand and wheel out the hole car for $595.00 and the car looks showroom new, money well spent.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote