View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 03:06 PM   #1
CharlesGordon
Regional Moderator

Angry Acton PD now sending citations via mail (not speeding)

I just posted this up to PPBB, but I thought it would be good to air my dirty laundry here to add some local color...black and white that would be....

Any Boston area lawyer suggestions would be most gratefully appreciated!

A week ago, I was on a local 2 lane following a car behind an extremely slow drivers-ed car. Going about 20 miles under the limit of 45 mph. After a half mile of this, I pass both cars, reach the speed limit but not exceed it, and pop back into my lane. Only thing is that a cop was on the westbound side and it happened a bit on the "tight" side. I instinctively check my rear-view mirror to see if the cop is slowing down or putting on his lights--nothing. So I chuckle to my wife, who is sitting in the passenger seat, "I don't know why I felt guilty, it was a legal pass and under the speed limit."

Today I get a $100 citation in the mail, "Failure to use care in passing more than one m/v w/o at least 400 feet of visibility."

Obviously this sounds like something I should fight! It really bothers me that, a) How do they know I was the driver; b) If I was commiting this act of reckless driving, shouldn't they get me off the streets rather than file paperwork?

Well, I'm not naive and I know this is just a revenue item. But what do you guys think my chances are based on this? And how do they have their evidence? Is it a camera tape from the car? Did they just scan the computer for red Porsches in my neighborhood? Yikes!

-Charlie
Allegedly in an 2.7 '01 GR/BLK/BLK
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote