Thread: Coolant Leak?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

There are no cheap Porsche's. There may be cars that are inexpensive to purchase, but they won't be cheap to own. I spent almost $3,000 in the first three months of ownership for maintanence/repairs of my cheap $10K Boxster. And my car didn't have anything nearly as obviously wrong with it as a major coolent leak. And now after one full year of ownership, I've spent over $6,000 in repairs.

Stop and think about what damage may have happened when all of the coolent disappears? Nothing good comes to mind. And at $35 a gallon, I doubt that the current owner is refilling it with Porsche coolent each time it empties out. And someone who treats their car like this probably isn't mentioning a lot of other things that probably need attention.

Be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) from a reputable shop or dealer before you buy so you know what you're getting into. Also, remember that this is a 10-yr old car so plan to budget $2,000 for repairs per year and be happy if you have some money left over.

Like the advertisement says, "You can pay me now or pay me later".
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote