View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Whats the point of redlining? Max hp drops off precipitously after 6.5k rpm and max torque is around 4.5k rpm, so shifting around 6k will keep you well within the power band.

Don't get me wrong, I'll get the revs past 6k when doing full throttle accelerations, but I haven't hit the rev limiter yet, don't see the need. I adjust the rpm to the amount of load on the engine, low load (part throttle), lower rpms. Full throttle, high rpms.
Acceleration is a result of engine torque multiplied through gear ratios (including wheels). The torque at the road is nearly always higher at the lower gear and higher rpm then the next gear up for any given speed. This is why max acceleration comes when running to redline in every gear.

To the OP - redline exists to keep the engine from a catastrophic failure, with some margin. So there are no dangers of pistons hitting valves or anything like that. There are some wear mechanisms thar are accelerated with higher engine speed, some are accelerated from higher load at low engine speed. The low friction materials and excellent lubrication used in modern engines means engines driven to redline often will still last over 200,000 miles. This has been demonstrated on our engines many times as long as the ims holds out. The question is, are you preserving your car for the next guy or are you enjoying your toy?

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-06-2011 at 06:36 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote