View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Mrmaddbrad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
Re: K&N impact on HP, a new filter is not an elixir for suddenly adding tons of noticeable HP. Think about it -- would the engineers who design that car really sacrifice HP because of, what, a religious devotion to paper filters? No way. More HP on a sports car directly translates into sales, and no company is going to say "Yeah, we could put that cotton filter in the car and boost HP by 10, but because we just love paper filters, we won't." I'm sure I'll trigger a bunch of posts from some K&N salesman or distributor by posting this, but the notion that you're going to get some huge increase in HP or MPG because of an air filter is fantasy.
Haha yes, its true. But you don't realize how much stuff is restricted from a car. Headers? Performance exhaust? Air Filters? All of these make your car LOUDER. The average person that buys a porsche doesn't want it to be loud or really cares how fast it is. They usually want it for the badge on the hood. Also, I'm assuming you don't have coil-overs on your car? Why? Price? Comfort? Oh yes, thats the other reason they don't do all this restricted stuff. Adding extra stuff costs money... And adding, what really makes your car "faster", suspension, causes for a huge loss in comfort.

You must realize how restricted you car is before you say how extra HP is big in their minds. Boxsters were built to get LOTS of average people to buy them. And it worked:P (Although on cars like the Boxster Spyder, or Cayman R, or GT3, they are only slightly restricted)
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote