View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Perfectlap

well in theory, I was thinking about doing the easy sections on my own: hood, rear trunk, fenders, rear 1/4 panels...to save on labor time. And then having someone more in the expert category do the doors and front bumper.

I hear labor prices in the $2K to $3K neibohrhood on what appears to be less than $400-$600 in materials? That makes me think of car detailing rates. It's time consuming but the level of skill required doesn't seem to out of reach for a DIY'er. As far as the steady hand required, a lot of the cuts seem to be straight lines. Is there some sort of flexible plastic straight edge device that can used? I guess long curves like the wheel arch would be a trick.
But granted I'm not really familiar with the pricing of materials other than what I've seen on Ebay for the 3M Di-Noc. Looks like $50-$80 per panel, less if you buy in a bulk roll. I mean if you screw up, just cut another section. Point being the cost doesn't seem that huge since the work is being done section by section vs one long stretched piece where one little error would require tossing the whole section.

I can't believe I haven't found a sinlge matte black or satin black wrap Boxster on Google. Just this one guy who painted it matte black and the video quality is terrible.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote