Thread: Oil Starvation
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
The Radium King

i think pedro hit the reason for oiling mods. for the 986 there are three major options:

deep sump - LN does a 1/2 quart, Mantis does a bigger one. the idea is that with more oil in the sump you need longer, more aggressive cornering to starve the oil pickup tube. the bigger the sump, the less clearance you get. some come with pickup tube extensions, some do not. requires modifying the existing windage tray windows (the flap things that hold the oil in close to the oil pickup tube). the oem windage tray has cheap plastic flaps held on by cheap plastic tabs and can break.

x-51 windage tray - designed for the 997, this tray has more robust flaps and is more 'oil tight'; that is, it will hold more oil near the pickup tube for a longer period of time. this unit is for an m97 and requires modification to fit an m96; requires major modification to work with a deep sump. don at ebs racing is now making an x-51 style windage tray specifically for the m96.

accusump - pressurised oil in a tube. when it senses oil pressure drop it adds more oil. research at canton on le engineering.

personally, i think that the ebs x-51 is for me.

ps, if you are going to r-comps you might want to think about power steering cooling also ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote