Thread: Winter Storage
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
Idaho Red Rocket 3

Good Old Flavor - NOT !

Sometimes I too would like a more detailed answer from JFP in PA. I would like to know his thoughts about the suspension hanging. But I guess he has to protect his livelihood. Folks like him giving out free mechanical information to folks like me would make less work for the repair shops. Just yesterday my son and I spent the afternoon tearing down his car's engine after talking to a mechanic. Have to have the head redone.

PB77, I'm not an engineer but 40 years of motorcycling has taught me a thing or two about engines sitting over the winter. I think a good reason to leave the oil in could be the same reason we leave the fuel tank full of fuel. To keep corrosion out. Any surface not covered is exposed to the elements and corrosion can begin. Yes I know there are folks who fog an engine and it works out fine. Fortunately for me, I choose to ride all year even though in the winter months of December - March it may only be once or twice per month. I keep my oil clear of moisture by taking 50 to 100 mile rides. And my Boxster S is my Wifes daily driver, so no problems there.