View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #50
SD987

"...agree with everything you said except for positioning of the driver.

I was at an autocross and was having significant trouble keeping the car stable during downshifts. I was rev matching very well, I was holding the shifter correctly... I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I had someone ride with me and they said the problem was I was sitting too far away from the wheel and pedals. The guy who rode with me, a very experienced road racer and autocrosser, said that the optimum position for the driver is the one where you can press the clutch pedal completely in with your RIGHT foot. I adjusted my seat accordingly and have found driving on the street as well as the track much easier. By moving my seat that one position forward, it put everything where Porsche designed it to be. The shifter was more accessible and easier to operate as were all 3 of the pedals. "

Wombat, I tried what you said and although it took a bit to get used to I like it alot, although still maintaining good torso distance.

On another note, regarding rev matching, I've lately been using the technique where I match revs (blip) on a downshift on the way out of the higher gear and it works superbly.

To clarify:

Previously:

Brake
Clutch-in
Shift 4-N (or whatever)
Blip gas
Shift N-3
Clutch-out / gas

Currently:

Brake
Clutch-in
Shift 4-3 / Blip gas while performing full shift, somewhere between 4-N
Clutch-out / gas

Another case of no-duh to some of y'all, but it was new to me. And I feel quite Schumacher when doing it.
Sand Beige

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote