View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
davzin

'Solid lifter' & the damage done...

My '05 987 with 27K miles had the CEL come on about a month ago. A few days later, it started running on 5 cylinders, and off to the dealer it went. I thought maybe a bad coil, or some other 'minor' sensor-type item was the cause. Nope, one of the valve lifters went into hydraulic lock and the cam lobe dished out the top of the lifter. The repair bill was $4600...my searches regarding this issue have turned up scant results. The service personel noted the 'defective part' on their report. So far the PCNA answer has been 'the car is 6 years old'...eat it. I can almost (almost!) understand the notion that the IMS is a 'replacement' part of the engine maybe at 100K miles...but a cam & a lifter? I was going to be in the market for the new Boxster S 981 designation when it arrives next year. But the 'passion & thrill' for the marque has diminished thanks to the stonewall from PCNA. The company wants to sell 200K units in a few years...through running ads proclaiming the 'magic' of driving the cars everyday? How about taking care of your core customers, and backing up the claim of fine German engineering? Or maybe that isn't in the budget...
davzin is offline   Reply With Quote