View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
SoCal, I am curious as to why you're purchasing your extended warranty on a 987 at this time? The warranty definitely needs to be purchased while the car is still under factory warranty, but I'm curious how much of a cost savings it is to purchase early on considering the "value of money" and other financial variables.
I don't know what I'm doing. My only saving grace is that I know I don't know enough to know what I'm doing.

I had assumed, for example -- and I'm just making this up for discussion purposes; I don't know what the factory warranty actually is -- that if the Porsche factory warranty was 4 years/50K miles, that I could purchase today an extended warranty for years 5-7 or miles 50,001-100K, for significantly less money than if I waited until the factory warranty was about to expire (and the car may by then have a history of problems).

If that's not true, then there may be not much reason to by an extended warranty now -- (except that the price increases in a few years might exceed the hypothetical interest on the money I would have spent now, which ultimately is speculative).

Last edited by SoCal; 09-13-2005 at 11:59 AM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote