View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Mark_T

I thought this job was relatively easy, but I have a good selection of flex sockets, extensions, ratcheting wrenches, etc. access wasn't a problem. I used Pedro's DIY, which has excellent instructions and pictures. I always go to Pedro's site first as I think he has the best tutorials.

The studs usually come out with the nuts, which is no problem as long as you don't put them back in that way. You need to separate them and put the studs back in with 48 ft-lbs torque, and then install the nuts with 34 ft-lbs, otherwise they can apparently come loose. Not all DIY's make this clear.

Lowering the engine is no big deal. I used a scissor jack with a block of wood on top of it, lowered it until the engine hung free, and cranked the jack back up a couple of turns just so it was supported. I put the car, all four corners, up on jack stands to do the job - gave me about 17" clearance under the car, which was more than adequate.

I found the same surprising difference in how smooth and tight the car handled afterwards.

My thoughts on hydraulic jacks - they are for lifting only. I would never trust one to support something heavy without a jack stand or other mechanical support for any length of time.