View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Frodo

In the late 1970's I had a '74 metallic blue VW Super Beetle---loved that car, so nimble and fun to run through the gears. Was driving home in the wee hours of the night, buzzing along at 70 mph or better when the rain hit, coming down in buckets. Hadn't had the car very long, and don't believe I had ever driven in a driving rain like I was experiencing that night.

Unwisely, I didn't slow my pace...it was late and I was tired, and had 20 miles or more to home. Came upon a stretch of beautiful, new smooth black asphalt, straight as an arrow...and inundated with a lot of rain water. Predictably (in hindsight), the car hydroplaned and started into a spin. Didn't panic, made the proper steering correction to straighten her out...and she just kept going. (The lightness of the car, the short wheelbase and the engine in back all conspired against me.) Made 2 or 3 complete rotations during which, initially, I was still careening down the middle of the empty road. My luck didn't hold, however, and next thing I knew I heard wet weeds and other roadside foliage slapping against the side of the car. Half a second later I smacked into an unforgiving cedar tree (I even remember what kind of tree!) at the driver-sde A-pillar, smacking my head off the side window in the process.

I was fine, but my beloved Beetle was a goner. Hitch-hiked home in the rain (actually got a ride at 2:00 a.m.---what a different time that was!) and drove back in the morning, with my not-so-happy father, to view the carnage. It was not a fun day.

BTW, I was no longer a teenager at this point (more like early 20's)...but I still sort of drove like one!

Last edited by Frodo; 09-17-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote