View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Thanks Brucelee, I agree with you. I will be a long-term keeper. But why change the oil at the 1,000 mark?
During the break-in period your engine is "getting used to running". As the parts mesh and rub on each other, tiny pieces of metal that don't meet perfectly come off and go through the oil system. Changing the oil at 1K miles gets that stuff out of the system so it can't come loose and go through the engine again.

I'm with Brucelee on the 10K miles. I tell my wife when she hits the 10K mile marks to let me know and I change it after that, but always before the 15K mile requirement.

As for why the interval is so long, it's because it's pure synthetic from the beginning and lots of it like SD987 said. With twice the oil of the normal engine out there, it takes a lot more contaminate to dirty it up and break it down.

One thing I'd disagree with from the manual. If you put less than 7K miles/year on the car, change it annually. Sitting destroys an oil worse than driving due to moisture in the oil reacting to make it acidic as it sits.

Hey Brucelee: Is there a M1 filter for the Boxster? I've never seen one but I'd love to use those instead of the OEM.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote