Thread: 993...
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #30
Flavor 987S

Quote:
Originally Posted by promark420
My dad has a '97 993 TT, and he absolutely hates it for some unknown reason. I think it's his age. He complains about the low driving position, the "horrible" HVAC and stereo and the ride.

It's also been a PITA to maintain from the start. I don't know all of the details about every single repair, but I do know that it has a rebuilt engine (under warranty) and the air bag was one dash cover from deploying.

So, for those reasons, he doesn't drive it much, and it surely isn't his DD.

Personally, I LOVE that car. It's quite different from the 986, but it is most definitely a Porsche. In fact, concentrate and amplify the essence of the 986 and that's the 993 (TT at least). The suspension is stiffer, a little noisier, a lot more stable, steering's a little tighter and it definitely accelerates faster. My only minor complaint is that the pedals are a little shifted to the right so you feel a little contorted after driving it for an extended period.

So, with the exception of my dad's I would really consider if this is a suitable DD, but it is definitely worth driving a few times a week.

Hey Promark, please tell us more about your father's Turbo! Color combo, options, how many owners? I'd love to learn more.

There are some great air-cooled indy shops in the Atlanta area. Your father needs to find one. Don't go to the dealership. They don't know these cars very well. They are rare (less than 500 1997 Turbos in North America), and dealerships have not seen them in years, if ever.

Yes, the radio sucks, but with the windows down, sunroof open, and Fab Speed bypass, you can't hear it in my car anyways!

The HVAC system is EXCELLENT! The little I've driven it in cold weather, the heat is almost "instant on", due to the heat exchangers on the exhaust system. As for the AC, I use mine less than 1% of the time, and it has been fine in +98 degree weather.

The pedals are great in the Turbo, but I also have a very custom set-up for my style, and performance clutch and LWFW.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote