View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Morelli

No Porsche for me...

1999 Boxster

The time has come ladies and gents. After less than one year, I have had my fill of dealing with my Boxster. I had my fun, and she was a blast to drive when she was working...but I've just been through too much and I am done.

I bought her with 57k or so. At 59k I did the 60k tune up, oil change, and perforated my airbox. That one ran just under $1000. My convertible top also only worked when it felt like it, so I had them look at that. They replaced something in there, and it worked for them. That was about $300. Then shortly after, I crashed it. My fault completely, but I used the occasion to put on a 996 front bumper from NR Auto. Big mistake. The bumper was crap, it hung down WAY too low, scraped on everything, and then the areas where it was bolted on, on the left side, gave way. I then put on a Boxster S front bumper, and lowered the car one inch on H&R springs, and also installed H&R front and rear sway bars. It then became the best handling car I had ever driven. That whole thing ran me a couple grand. Oh, and did I mention the top still didn't work right? They replaced another part, at no cost of course. Then I needed new tires. Slapped on some S-03's, and almost $900 later, we're golden. Then shortly after, she died on me one day as I was about to leave to go to a club one night. Turned out to be the MAF, and an O2 sensor. $600 and change later, it's fixed. Oh, and by the way, the top still doesn't work right. Then a couple weeks later, as I am exiting the freeway, I come to rest at idle...but my idle is jumping violently between 1250rpm - 2100rpm...like I am revving it.

I had officially reached my breaking point.

Took her right to the shop. Dropped it off with the full intent of never picking it up again. I told the shop to fix the problem, and contact one of their wholesalers to pick it up. I don't even want to look at it...I cannot deal with it any more. To make things worse, the only shop I trust is 10 miles away. Doesn't sound too threatening...but I live in LA. Even worse, their business hours are the same as mine. That means that I can drop my car off on Friday (I leave work at noon on Fridays), and pick it up the next Friday. In the meanwhile, I get to put miles on my cousins NSX. Fun, yes...but it is not my car and I don't like driving it too much...because it's not mine to have fun with. I have had my cousins car now for almost three weeks as I wait for Bank of America to send my payoff slip...did I mention I just paid her off with refi money? Fun.

So, looks like I am going back to Lexus. I think I am going to pick up another SC300. I have had two in the past, and they are one of the best all around cars ever produced. Just cannot go wrong with that car, and if I can find myself a 5-speed...I'll be the happiest man alive.

I had my fun, but I don't think I could own another Porsche without a warranty on it...talk about leaving a bad taste in my mouth...