Thread: manual top
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock88hard
My top is 'stuck up', won't come down. I've been wanting to make it a manual anyway since one of the arms were broke and I had to guide it up and down while holding the button.

I don't think the broken arm is holding anything up, because It wasn't operating properly for a few days. (I could get it up or down after restarting the car a few times) Restarts aren't working now, does anyone know if there is a way to get it down? My dashlight is telling me it's open, but I get no response and hear nothing mechanically....
You can reach under the rollbar hoops, pull each of the two front pushrods off their respective steel ball (which is located directly below each large black metal "knuckle" (which each is located directly beneath the "B-Pillar) [B-Pillar is a term used for the "second" vertical member above the body or tub of any car, and each has glass or open space in between and betwixt each of these "A", "B" , "C" pillars, etc...].

Once you have poppef off the two front pushrods, do the same (in a fashion, because it's a different type of connection where the rear "Hydraulic" looking pushrod connects to the body-colored metal support arm [support arm for the underside of the clamshell, one left and one right] ) and VOILA...

In summary, disconnecting the front pushrod releases the canvas/frame assembly to allow it to be operated manually, AND;

...disconnecting the rear "Hydraulic" purshrod releases the metal clamshell (cover which ends up directly over the folded down canvas top/frame when the top is completely open or completely closed).

Now you have two assemblies that can move independently of each other and the only thing you have to devise is a method/mechanism/clamp/bungee type fastener which will hold the canvas/frame assembly AND the clamshell securely down so that it does not flap around whilst driving.

If it "catches wind" at speed, as in going over a bump at 40 to 60 mph, you will be in for a dangerous world of hurt, so be forewarned... It may be a rare occurrence, but it's one you don't want to discover...

YMMV...

Go to Mike Focke's Boxster Pages website for a better reference with photos, etc. of these part names and numbers...

You can also check out the Bentley Manual for Porsche Boxster for excellent schematics and the names of the parts if they are total foreing (sp.) to you.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote