View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

The last two vehicles that I sold were via eBay because I didn't have to get the absolute top dollar (eBay buyers are well-known for being cheap and looking for a deal) and I didn't want the hassle of showing the car and dealing with people who call at all times of the day/night or who make an appt to come and see the car but who never show up, etc, etc.

On eBay, I priced the cars to start at $100 but had a reserve price that was just a little cheaper than Kelly Blue Book private party price. This ensured that I'd get a reasonable minimum price. I also included many very good high resolution photos and wrote a very detailed and extensive description of the cars. You can never give too much info on a eBay vehicle listing. If you suck at photography, get someone to help you because high quality photos make all the difference on eBay.

I required a 25% deposit to be made within 24-hours of the end of the auction to rule out people who didn't have their money in-hand (I didn't want someone to win the action and THEN spend three weeks trying to line up their financing) and required full payment in 7-days. In the listing I stated that this was a CASH ONLY SALE and that I'd only accept PayPal, bank transfer, or cashiers check. No credit cards, personal checks, payment plans, third party checks, land in Wyoming, or Liberian gold would be accepted (and yes, I actually wrote that line into the listing).

Using this approach, I sold each vehicle in one week (via 7-day listing) and both sold for a few hundred more than the reserve price which was just about equal to KBB private party price. Both buyers flew out to LA and picked up the vehicles in person and drove them back home.

Overall, the transactions were simple and straightforward and I'd sell again via eBay in a second.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote