Thread: IMS/RMS Leak?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
Petermark1972

Update as follows... I picked the car up yesterday from my 'normal' mechanic. Basically all he did was add some stop leak and steam clean the underneath of the car. He had it running for half an hour and couldn't find the leak again.
After speaking to the Porsche mechanic he told me that the leak could one of a number of places, not necessarily the IMS, but as long as the oil wasn't running out of if that it was drivable - so I decided (wise or not) to put the roof down and floor it all the way home and see what happened (about 40 miles)... No problems at all on the way home. Put a board under the car last night and checked this morning and no sign of any leak...
Question is.. is it possible for a leak to be intermittent? I know I may be playing with fire and I do intend to get the IMS replaced at some stage, however finances at the minute could be better spent elsewhere.
Am I mad just driving away and keeping an eye on it for leaks?
Thanks again for all the advice. I'm not a mechanic by a long shot but at least (with your help) I have some knowledge when a mechanic tries to explain things to me...
Pete
Petermark1972 is offline   Reply With Quote