View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
There seems to be a disproportionate number of "failures" on forums than in "the real world". Most of the catastrophic or major failures I have seen are from people who bought those vehicles used. Forums, frequently, are the breeding grounds for not only good information but misinformation and scare mongers. I'm not saying there's not a good reason to inspect the IMS when a clutch job is done, I just don't think it's a sky-is-falling situation.

Largely the fault of the manufacturer for not putting out the "true numbers".
Well obviously they would have to be in a position to even report said numbers by actually acknowledging it. No such humanitarianism and philanthropy coming out of Porsche. I guess they didn't want to go there for good reason. If a well-known shop is claiming four reported IMS failures a week then I'm really mystified why the manufacturer wouldn't make an effort to reach out to that shop and its affiliates. I'm more than sure that they already have these numbers for the out of warranty rollers that were brought into their dealerships but those must be minor since the car is a total wash at that point.
Since this the age of the internet you can't keep a lid on something forever. Sooner or later those reported numbers leak out and people start to see (possibly) that the number of catastrophic failures, although still "lottery ticket" minor, are well above industry average.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote