View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
DenverSteve

Too many unknown factors. Have the failures been on: vehicles bought new or used by the effected owner?; have they had all their required (major and minor) maintenance?, were they modified, raced, abused? Also, only a very small percentage of owners (of any vehicle type) are forum members. I belong to a forum for my other vehicle too - a Jeep Wrangler. The Wrangler forum is replete with problem after problem. I've never had a single issue. The same when I had my Cayenne (never a single problem). I buy my vehicles, meticulously maintain them and drive them like I stole them (so to speak).

There seems to be a disproportionate number of "failures" on forums than in "the real world". Most of the catastrophic or major failures I have seen are from people who bought those vehicles used. Forums, frequently, are the breeding grounds for not only good information but misinformation and scare mongers. I'm not saying there's not a good reason to inspect the IMS when a clutch job is done, I just don't think it's a sky-is-falling situation.

I have also seen a disproportionate number of forum members - on several forums - who have way more problems with their vehicles than the average owner. I can't say why, I've simply observed it. It's just up to forum members (us) to evaluate the information and mentally weed out the quality information, trolls and mongers - and sometimes it's hard. All present company excluded.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 07-25-2011 at 07:41 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote