View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
longislander1

I'd have to research this in more detail, but the problem with using 1950 as the base is that the US was still feeling the effects of post World War II inflation. Plus, I'm not sure whether the Korean War was on at that point. These may have contributed to higher than usual gasoline prices at the time. As a kid in the mid- to late 1950s, I distinctly remember premium gas widely available in the northeast for under 30 cents a gallon. In fact, I remember my father filling his 1958 Buick for under 30 cents a gallon. I'm not sure it crossed 30 cents until the early '60s and, as I recall, the rate of increase was pretty mild until the '70s gas shortages. Using this guy's "trusty inflation calculator" and moving the year to 1958 and premium gas to 30 cents, the current price should be $1.97 -- for premium. Instead, it's currently headed for $4.

This guy sounds like an apologist for a government that's done little or nothing about gas prices while oil companies are awash in profits. And, typical for these guys, he twists the statistics to fit his thesis.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote