View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Topless,
I agree with you on what the trouble code indicates but I replaced all of my O2 sensors when I had 210,000 on my 2001 (bad AOS damaged them). Drove the car for about 2000 miles with no alarms, then got a P0430, P0410, and P1411 in memory with no CEL (I check the system occasionally with my Durametric). I ended up replacing my gas cap (way past due/real bad shape/original) then cleared the alarms and have not seen those trouble codes since. Was the P0430 alarm just coincidental? Did the bad gas cap create the P0430 alarm? BTW I have never replaced my catalytic convers, they are original.

Talking to one of the local mechanics they have had some success running a cleaner through the induction system that helps clean catalytic converters so your suggestion of adding some Techron to the fuel might do the trick.
A bad AOS can definitely foul your cats if you continue to drive the car due to excessive oil feeding the motor. Adding Techron might?? clear it up. A bad AOS will also cause mixture codes to come up (car will run lean). Since the OP said his AOS passed the "pull oil fill cap" test and had no mixture codes we can eliminate the AOS as a likely problem. A failed gas cap, bad AOS, intake air leak, and bad MAF will result in a CEL with mixture codes from the primary o2 sensors. Since the OP had no error codes from the primary o2 sensors we can eliminate these as a likely possibility. Just a basic process of elimination.