View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
SD987

Minor top issue on the 987 (maybe 986)

Living in San Diego and driving as much as I do, I would assume that I put the top-up and down with above-average frequency. That being said, the car developed an issue over the last month or so where a plasticky brushing sound could be heard when the clamshell disengaged from the body. I never paid attention to it because it developed over time until I got to the golf course yesterday (about a mile away from work) and I was ready to take the clubs out of the back. There was a two foot length of plastic sticking out of the clamshell (top down).

Turns out there are lengths of this weatherproofing/buffer plastic running along the leading edge of the clamshell and this was sticking out. I raised the roof to the service position (halfway up) and pushed the plastic back on, fortunately only the plastic was mildly mangled. However some trial raising and lowering revealed that each time the plastic was being rubbed back off again.

Took it to the dealer who managed to fix it in about five minutes...Turns out that the lengths of plastic were getting caught on the rear brake light. Reason I'm posting is that I took a look at the attachment of the lengths to the clamshell and they're not strong and the problem may be common to the 987. So I would suggest to any 987 owners that if the top makes any brushing sound at all when being engaged or disengaged to have a look back there (the fixed top is pretty much silent), as I would imagine the dangling strip could either get mangled or worse yet get caught in something back there.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote