View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #15
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
When starting there is minimal oil pressure while cranking, but any good oil will leave a microscopic film wherever it was. Otherwise we'd be replacing rings, bearings pistons cams etc all the time!

But I submit that the 'damage' to the thrust bearing caused by the short time it takes to fire the engine, is far worse when you sit at a traffic light with the car in gear and the clutch disengaged.

That's why when sitting a light I never have the car in gear, the clutch is engaged and my foot isn't resting on the pedal. When the light changes yellow for the oncoming traffic I slide into gear and am ready for the green.

Back in the day, British cars used a carbon release bearing, rather than a true bearing with balls in it. People used to come into the shop for a new clutch when all it needed was a new carbon bearing. In all my cars. over 40 of them, I have never replaced a clutch, release bearing or pressure plate or thrust bearing using the method I described above.

My 2 cents!
I guess I don't understand how the two are related? One is starting the car, the other is sitting at a stop light.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote