Thread: Trading In Tips
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
mikefocke

As one who bought and sold 3 times in the last month

I was flat out amazed how easy/fast it was to sell a priced right car via Craigslist. I live 50 miles from a population center and had doubts but in the 2 selling cases I tried a simple honest priced right 4 line no pictures ad. I had multiple people calling me within 2 hours begging me to hold the car till they could get here. Both were low mileage 10 year old cars needing nothing. Cost me 3 hours each to clean up, answer the phone, deal with the buyers and get the deal done.

Each brought ~$2k more than any dealer was offering and getting rid of them meant the deal on the new car was easy to see, compare and get priced right. The cost of the new car wasn't clouded by the trade-in which meant the new car dealer had to price in a straightforward manner and not throw figures around until it took a spreadsheet to figure out what they were paying and what I was paying.

The bottom line on selling my wife's car on Craigslist and buying a new car from an out of state low cost dealer was about $4500 in my pocket versus the best of 6 offers I had from dealers. Exact same car.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote