View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
laphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleguy
Long story short, I purchased a 2002 Boxster about two weeks ago. The car was well taken care of and had a pretty clean PPI from an independent shop.

After replacing the normal wear and tear issues (i.e. Coolant tank, ignition switch, front engine mount, etc.) I felt that the car was in pretty good mechanical shape...except for the unknown IMS bearing. There were no signs of a failure or leaks from the engine or tranny so my local shop said to just do it at the next clutch change.

After reading A LOT of forum posts and web clippings about the IMS bearing failing I have to admit that I started to panic a bit. Every time I started the engine I was basically crossing my fingers hoping that there would nit be any issues.

So today I decided to have the IMS retrofit installed. The old bearing had a little bit of play and more than likely would not have lasted until my next clutch change. It cost me about $1700 for the job and in my opinion it was well worth it.

So needless to say, I can sleep well now without having the "what if" looming over my head anymore.
Completely agree with you. I can sleep a lot better now after the IMS retrofit.
How many miles do you have on your car?
Mine is an 02 too and I had quite a bit of play when we replaced it at 47K miles last January (no leak from IMS seal either).
I think we can't guess the IMS bearing conditions without removing it out of the engine (My oil filter was clean, no metal shavings but my bearing had some play and I think it won't last much longer if I did not replace it).
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote