View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
RandallNeighbour

It happened to the Honda pre-buff and detail. Kinda good in that if this happened after I put 10+ hours into the car buffing it, I would be PISSED beyond what I am now... although I agree with you, it would probably fall off with a sponge due to all the carnauba on the car. (FYI, pissed means angry, not drunk for all you brits reading this post.)

I have done most of the paint removal sans what I missed in the dark. It was indeed paint and not drywall mud. I cannot tell if it was oil based or water based, but it stuck to the car like superglue. I first tried bug and tar remover from Turtle Wax (only thing available at Pep Boys this side of rubbing compound) and that worked, but took forever to get a 2x2 inch square done.

Then I lubricated the paint surface with detailer's spray and tried a clay bar. Also worked, but scratched the clear coat quickly as the clay bar absorbed all the paint bits... $15 clay bar shot to hell in five minutes.

I finally just took a bucket full of Dawn and a little water and soaped up each panel and took my fingernail in a microfiber towel and picked it off one piece at a time. Took me nearly three hours, but the car's road-paint free now. My fingers are killing me to type this in though, and I have a mass of microscratches from the various ways I tried including the last one.

Menzerna's on the way though... I'll get that porter cable polisher busy on it the day I get the supplies and have it all shiny. I will take before and after pix.

If I ever see that flatbed truck and driver again, you guys won't be reading posts from me any longer unless the prison library has an internet connection. I'm gonna go postal on him!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote