Thread: Dead Boxster?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #29
GTA_G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
you are not understanding the point i am trying to make.

14K for a used boxster with a rebuilt motor is too much. nobody in their right mind is going to touch that car unless you get it done at a dealer with a certified motor (more than 14K), and even then, I would not touch it.

My guess, that with a new motor, it is worth about 11K trade in.
If you are willing to drop 14 into the car, then fix it cheap 4K, trade it in for 11, take the extra 10K you saved because you bought cheap, and put it for a down payment, And find your son a boxster for 21K. You could get a 2005, or something different.

Or take your 14 and buy another boxster and sell them both in a year for 20.

My point is that for the money you are putting in, You are about to spend more money to fix your car, than if you went out and just replaced it.

If their rebuilt motor is so good, why do they only stand behind it for a year?
A rebuilt motor is only as good as the warranty, because I dont think that you will be willing to spend another 14K in a year.

There is so many expensive things that can break on these cars, That I can not see why anyone would put 14-20K into a 12 year old car.

You are not thinking with your head, you are attached to the car.

So you will have a 12yo car that can not be resold for anything close to what you put into it, and then what will you do when the next big thing happens ( your tranny/shocks/ AC/ ......).

if you want reliable trade it in for a toyota.
\\

+1

You could sell the roller for 5k. Hell I'd pay close to that for it tomorrow. Hardtop alone is worth 1K!

If you want to keep costs down buy a used motor from car-part.com or ebay for $3k add install costs ims/rms upgrades $2500. You'd be back on the road for under 6K

I would not hand this car down to a 16yr old if you are even considering costs. I'll assure you it'll be back in the shop within 4months of a 16yr boy behind the wheel
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote