Thread: Dead Boxster?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #25
johnsimion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfncpa
It comes with a 12K warranty. Not much but that's a year of being covered and at that point I will turn it over to my son who won't be driving many miles.

The top is in good shape and so is the hard top. I just put on new front tires and the back ones are ok. Windows seem good. Brakes ok, prob will get those done within the next 10K miles. Needs a new windshield and a few minor things on the interior.

For $20K I could get another Boxster that would probably be in better shape than the one I have. But, I am thinking the engine would be a much bigger gamble than a rebuilt one with the IMS upgrade and a couple other upgrades. Am I wrong there? I'll get the specifics of all the upgrades and post them here.

The other thing is I can come up with $14K or a little more but probably not $20K and certainly not the $30K+ to get a certified preowned. I hate the idea of two car payments and the wife's car still has $25K to go to be paid off.
It would be very difficult and time-consuming to try to sell a "roller" for $5K as some suggest, and I also think it is unrealistic to think you could buy AND install a used engine for $4K. Might take months to git 'r dun and all that time you would be looking at your inert metal sculpture and wondering if you made the right choice. Personally I have better things to do with my time than trying to coordinate all that. You've got the money for the rebuilt engine and that is a one-shot solution. The rebuilt engine with the LN Engineering IMS shaft sounds like a good choice to me, especially if you plan to keep the car for a couple of years. The longer you keep it, the less it costs you in the long run.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote