View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
mikstew

For 38 bucks you got a good deal then.

This cable is great and I recommend it. The bogus claims about frying ECUs are just that - bogus. It uses software from the durametric website so why would the clone cable be any more likely to fry an ECU or crash a computer for that matter?

I suppose people who make such accusations do not understand the simplicity of what a OBDII cable consists of. A clone of such a simple device is easy to make. Hell, they can clone iphones. Furthermore, I would be surprised if durametric's actual cable was NOT made in china. I bet they litterally use the same electronics.

I have used this cable to read and write with no problems.

Further to this, I have used "Cheap chinese knockoff" BMW cables as well. Reading, writing, programming - no problems. Don't listen to doomsayers who say otherwise.

why the hell would you pay 600$ for a durametric cable when it litterally costs 5 to make, AND you can buy the functional equivalent for 38$ (apparently) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods
I think those thing here retails at $38.46 or RMB250.00

Works with Durametric ver3 and ver5 blah blah, and some other software I've heard, but very limited in terms of comm bus/interface engineering mate. I personally noticed that the cable was twice slower while communicating with the ecu compared to my local expert's piwis tester, the pc hangs 50% of the time, needs killing duramet.....exe from task manager, restarting the soft can take 2 min, turn key off/on/off/on, only if you are lucky you'll have a steady durametric session. Obviously a no go given the price of an new porsche ecu :/

If you do get this cable (not that I encourage counterfeit, I'm the most culprit), like my porsche expert friend here says... just use it to "read only" and do NOT use for clearing codes, starting fans, drive links ect... e.g. sending any currupted data to ecu

(my exp anyway... I only let my porsche guy here touching that thing from now on)
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote